What will happen in 2017? Whether you prefer to call them cybersecurity forecasts, online risk trends or security predictions, the answers are similar. Here’s a roundup of what we here at PacketViper are saying about the year ahead — and what you can do to prepare.
- Rise of the Shadownet -Growth of massive Shadownets, which are IoT botnets that can't be seen or measured using traditional tools. The first step: targeted DDoS attacks combined with demands for ransom. Second step: collecting data, targeting attacks and obfuscating other attacks.
- Automated and Humanlike Attacks- Expect malware designed with adaptive, success-based learning to improve the success and efficiency of attacks. This new malware will understand the environment it is in and make calculated decisions about what to do next.
- Malware With AI-like Code- Next-generation malware will have more complicated decision-making trees instead of the "one or another" code that's a precursor to AI. When it encounters a conditional jump it has seen before, a prediction will then be made and the malware will become more efficient and effective.
- IoT Makers Will Be Held Accountable for Breaches- Cyber Terrorists will target IoT devices, which are built with highly vulnerable code and distributed by vendors with no security systems. These devices are "headless," that being , you can't add security or update their software and firmware
- Attacks on Smart Buildings- Hackers will target building automation and management systems and will potentially hold buildings for ransom by locking doors, shutting off elevators, rerouting traffic or simply turning on the alarm system.
- Growing Number of Ransomware as a service- Continued growth of ransomware as a service, as criminals with no training or skills can download tools and point them at a victim in exchange for sharing profits with the developers.
In conclusion despite some less than encouraging predictions regarding online safety and security, the future looks bright in 2017 for those who can offer workable solutions to solve security problems in cyberspace. Share your predictions for 2017 with us in the comment section below